Carrington West are assisting their local authority client based in London in their search for a Town Planning Officer to join their Development Management team on a 3 month rolling contract.
The ideal candidate will have experience dealing with a range of planning applications, as the successful candidate will be required to deal with both householder and minor applications. The right candidate should have experience in a similar position and be motivated, technically knowledgeable, and have a strong customer service ethos.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspecting plans, carrying out site visits and assessing development proposals
- Providing advice to applicants and other customers, including on whether permission/consent is likely to be granted and how schemes may be altered so permission/consent may be granted, and negotiating planning applications, considering alternatives and recommending the most appropriate course of action
- Advising third parties about planning matters and the scope of planning control
- Maintaining notes of site visits, meetings and records of actions
- Drafting reports and recommending whether applications are granted or refused and whether enforcement action should be taken for submission to planning committee or for decision by the Director or Operational Head of Development Management.
- Keeping applicants, complainants, colleagues, councillors and others informed of the position of current cases and to share knowledge where necessary.
- Checking applications for validation as part of providing a joined up service to applicants, giving the necessary advice to applicants and maintaining appropriate records
You will be required to have some knowledge and experience of working within a council planning team as you will be expected to hit the ground running. In return, the council are offering agile working arrangements and can be flexible about workplace location and hours.
It would be beneficial although not mandatory to hold a RTPI accredited Planning Degree or equivalent Planning qualification and/or have considerable experience in a similar position; and also hold a licentiate membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute (or equivalent)
We are looking to arrange interviews as soon as possible with the view to schedule a start date within the next 2 weeks, so please do not hesitate to apply or get in contact for a further discussion.
Carrington West Pay Rate - £30per/hour
Job Ref - 36274
Please call Cameron de Wit on 02393 876014 for a confidential discussion on this role, or email myself or our planning team if you are short of time to chat:
Carrington West's dedicated Town Planning Recruitment Team supply clients UK wide on both a permanent and contract basis and all levels of seniority. If this role is too senior, too junior or in a location that is unsuitable, but you are keen on options, please still feel free to apply and we can discuss other, often unadvertised roles with you.