Carrington West are assisting their local authority client based in London in their search for a Principal Town Planner to join their Development Management team on a 12 month contract.
The ideal candidate will be a PPA specialist with the experience to deal with a challenging caseload of complex and major planning applications and pre-apps.
- Ensure delivery of key strategic projects. These include important council direct delivery schemes and those with key stakeholders.
- Leading on major pre-app/ applications for several key strategic development sites subject to planning performance agreements (PPAs) which support the delivery of significant corporate objectives in relation to affordable housing, affordable workspace, environmental improvements and s106 contributions.
- This post would ensure the service delivery for these key projects in a timely and well managed manner as well as facilitate income generation.
- When required assist in establishing, developing and keeping under review the structures, procedures and working methods for your team and the wider service to ensure an integrated, effective and efficient approach to the delivery of services and to maximise the use of new technology to both improve services and generate efficiency savings.
- Judge and assist in judging the merits of development proposals, determine planning applications and related matters within delegated powers, and evaluate and make sound recommendations on applications particularly those of a complex and controversial nature, including presentation at planning committee.
- Defend the Council's decisions at appeals to the Planning Inspectorate for own appeals and the provision of guidance to case officers in the team on their appeals.
- Be sufficiently conversant with relevant statutory provisions and the Council's constitution, processes and procedures.
You should have an appreciation of main central government & development plan policy issues, planning and related legislation, operation of local government and knowledge of current issues & developments affecting planning, regeneration & local government in London. Have the understanding of processes involved and an ability to provide effective and responsive development control services on a mixed caseload of development proposals, planning applications and appeals, including more complex cases and covering a range of development types and issues
The successful candidate should hold a RTPI accredited Planning Degree or equivalent Planning qualification and considerable experience in a similar position; and also hold a licentiate membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute (or equivalent)
We are looking to arrange interviews as soon as possible, so please do not hesitate to apply or get in contact for a further discussion.
Carrington West Pay Rate - £50per/hour
Job Ref - 36230
Please call Cameron de Wit on 02393 876014 for a confidential discussion on this role, or email myself or our planning team if you are short of time to chat:
Carrington West's dedicated Town Planning Recruitment Team supply clients UK wide on both a permanent and contract basis and all levels of seniority. If this role is too senior, too junior or in a location that is unsuitable, but you are keen on options, please still feel free to apply and we can discuss other, often unadvertised roles with you.