Salary: up to £55,000 p/a plus package, depending on experience.
My client, who are one the largest water and waste water companies in the UK. Is looking to recruit an Ecologist to be based from their office in Hampton, but will have the option of hybrid working.
What you will be doing:
As a Lead Ecologist in the London Non-Infrastructure (LNI) team, you would be a key member of the Technical Assurance team, working closely with the Environmental Technical Assurance Engineers. You would work on an exciting and diverse range of water sector projects.
- Play a key role in the Preliminary Design (de-risking stage) and optimisation activities, working with their multi-disciplinary teams to identify ecology-related compliance risks associated with the planning system, net loss, protected species, invasive species and Habitats Regulations Assessment
- Work with the project teams to develop strategies to counter or mitigate risks, to help facilitate smooth project delivery and assist in the procurement of any deliverables required such as ecological surveys and reports
- Support the LNI team in developing proactive strategic initiatives, such as batch eDNA surveys across an upcoming programme of work
- Conduct ecological walkovers to assist with de-risking activities for protected species e.g., badgers, water voles, bats, GCN, etc.
- Perform an Ecological Clerk of Works role looking at, for example, vegetation removal and pre-construction badger walkovers
- Review Design and Build contractors Ecology & Protected Species Method Statement, Risk Assessment Method Statement (RAMS), and Natural England assent/ consent applications
- Assist Capital Delivery in managing relations with environmental and wildlife groups, charities, regulators, and other stakeholders
- Support delivery of the 10% biodiversity net gain commitment across capital projects, providing a challenge at the project level and assisting in the collation of data at the programme level to ensure our biodiversity outcomes are achieved
- Be a key interface between Capital Delivery and the Biodiversity Team who are working to deliver a separately funded programme to enhance the biodiversity of selected sites by 5%. Explore and facilitate opportunities for our contractors to complement these enhancements to offset losses on their projects
- Steer our contractor's compliance with achieving biodiversity net gain by reviewing the Biodiversity Calculators and Landscape Reinstatement plans at regular intervals. Support the handover of projects back to Asset Management
- Support the Environmental Technical Assurance Engineers in educational and training initiatives to help embed an appropriate culture across the organisation and our contractors
We're looking for you to:
- Have a degree in Ecology, Conservation, Earth Sciences, or a related topic
- Ideally, be a full member of the Charted Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM)
- Have expertise with the industry-standard Biodiversity Metric
- Have excellent experience in a similar role
- Hold at least one protected species licence held or be working towards one
- Have a full driving licence and have access to a vehicle for work purposes
What's in it for you?
- Competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension.
- 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with length of service and a wider benefits scheme.
This position is paying a salary of up to £55,000 p/a plus package, depending on experience.
If you want to find out more details, please email email@example.com