Carrington West are assisting a London Authority in their search for an Area Building Control Surveyor. This will be offered on an initial 3-month contract, then rolling.
- Provide management and control in the administration and enforcement of the Building Act, Building Regulations and allied legislation to ensure an adequate standard of construction, with regard to public health and safety, in respect of the built environment within the geographical area of the Borough.
- Prepare reports and record inspections incorporating decisions made on site under delegated authority with regard to compliance with current and associated legislation.
- Support the management team by exercising professional and managerial responsibilities; undertake Building Control duties in accordance with the policies and procedures to comply with Building Regulations and the quality assurance certification of Charter Mark in order to deliver a very high quality service.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. To examine plans and details submitted under the Building Regulations, check for compliance with the requirements of those Regulations and allied legislation.
2. Inform applicants in writing and prepare a schedule of amendments of the Building Regulations shown on the submitted plans and list any additional information that is required to determine compliance. Carry out any discussions that may subsequently prove necessary to ensure that the minimum standards set down in Building Regulations are met.
3. Consult with the Fire Authority under the Fire Precautions Act in respect of designated buildings and other Sections and Divisions of the Environmental and Leisure Services Department where appropriate.
4. Recommend for Approval or Rejection of proposals following the examination and consultations outlined above by the required performance standard dates.
5. Provide advice and guidance to members of the public, Surveyors, Architects, and Solicitors etc on all aspects of Building Regulations in a customer-orientated style.
6. Carry out regular site inspections in respect of works in progress to ensure that the works accord with the approved plans and are in conformity with the requirements of the Building Regulations.
7. Make decisions on site (approve or reject) regarding any alterations and amendments to ensure compliance with the Building Regulations.
8. Approve works on site with regard to Building Notice applications as work proceeds to ensure full compliance with the Building Regulations and allied legislation.
9. Assess on site any varying of the provisions under Building Regulations. Make decisions on site regarding these variations or if necessary consult with a senior member of staff or the Head of Building Control and note any decisions and the reasons on the site records.
10. The keeping of up-to-date and accurate records of all Building Control activities including performance indicators and benchmarking criteria
11. Ensure that a Planning "Plan Check" is carried out where appropriate and report and discrepancies to the Development Control Section either in the submitted plans or works on site.
12. Note any contravention's of the Regulations and report, any which are not immediately rectified to the Senior or Principal Building Control Surveyor for formal Enforcement Procedures to be implemented.
13. Investigate and deal with any reported dangerous structures within the Borough and bring to the attention of the Senior Building Control Surveyor reports on dangerous structures including recommendations for action.
14. To deal with retrospective building regularisation submissions making recommendation about the degree of compliance with the standards set down within Building Regulations.
15. Determine regularisation submissions making arrangements for the certificates to be issued by management or the Head of Building Control.
16. To supervise staff temporarily allocated to the service area and to assist in the training of other staff.
17. To carry out investigations into breaches of building control legislation, identify and make recommendations of appropriate course of action
18. Undertake any other duties commensurate with the level of the post, as required to ensure the efficient and effective running of the Department/Section
The ideal candidate would have experience in a Local Authority building control team, Plan examination, Site inspection, Dealing domestic, commercial and industrial applications. It would be beneficial although not mandatory to hold a Full Corporate Membership of RICS, ABE or equivalent. You must have a full driving license to be considered
Carrington West Pay Rate - £30per/hour (Negotiable DOE)
Job Ref - 24225
Please call Cameron de Wit on 02393 876014 for a confidential discussion on this role, or email myself or our planning team if you are short of time to chat:
Carrington West's dedicated Town Planning Recruitment Team supply clients UK wide on both a permanent and contract basis and all levels of seniority. If this role is too senior, too junior or in a location that is unsuitable, but you are keen on options, please still feel free to apply and we can discuss other, often unadvertised roles with you.